View Extended Forecast
Experience the Big Bug Invasion at Levis CommonsPublished: 09/18/2013
This Fall, Levis Commons is being invaded by an unforgettable collection of sculptures created by Long Island artist David Rogers. David Rogers’ Big Bugs, a traveling exhibit of larger-than-life bug sculptures will be on display at Levis Commons from October 1- 31. The event is sponsored by ProMedica.
David Rogers' playful art installation that skews scale and creates an environment that shrinks visitors and enlarges common creatures to uncommon proportions. The effect is a role reversal of dimension and perception. As most of these sculptures reach heights of 12-feet tall, they are not your average garden gnomes. The gargantuan scale bugs are created using all-natural materials such as trees, saplings and branches. The inherent uniqueness of these materials provides character, definition and a sense of motion.
Since its debut at the Dallas Arboretum in 1994, David Rogers' Big Bugs have traveled across the U.S. to elite locations such as the National Arboretum in Washington D.C., the Chicago Botanical Gardens and Disney World’s Epcot Center. Levis Commons is honored to be added to the list of host locations and excited to be home to the first Big Bugs appearance in Northwest Ohio.
A kick-off event for the Big Bugs exhibit will take place on Saturday, October 5th from 2:00 – 5:00 p.m. Visitors will be treated to a variety of family friendly activities including inflatables, a children’s John Deere gator race track, arts and crafts, a sensory learning table, live music and more. The opening day festivities will finish with a performance by Kelly Broadway and horse-drawn hayride tours of the bug exhibit from 5:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Throughout the month of October there will be an assortment of entertainment for families to enjoy while exploring the bugs.
-Every Tuesday in October is Kids Eat Free Day at Blue Pacific Grill. Treat the kids to lunch or dinner and receive a FREE “bug” dessert.
-Every Friday in October from 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. kids can visit Yogurt Vi to decorate their very own “bug” themed yogurt cup and receive 25% off their yogurt purchase!
- On Saturdays in October head to Books-A-Million at 11:00 a.m. for “bug” themed story times and “make and take” crafts and activities.
- Scavenger Hunt Saturdays add a little extra adventure to your Big Bug visit. Pick up a scavenger hunt from ProMedica at Levis Commons on Saturdays in October from Noon – 5:00 p.m. Have fun solving the puzzles and then drop off your answers at Yogurt Vi for a chance to win fun prizes!
-The Fall Concert Series returns to Levis Commons every Saturday in October from 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. Musicians will perform under a tent near the fountain.
- Horse-drawn hayrides will be available Saturdays in October from 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. and will take riders on a scenic tour of the Big Bugs sculptures. Rides are $1 per person and pick up on Chappel Dr. near Schakolad Chocolate Factory.
- While you're here snap a photo next to your favorite Big Bug sculpture and share them on your preferred social media site! Be sure to hashtag #LevisBigBugs on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to be automatically entered for a chance to win a fabulous prize package courtesy of Levis Commons!
The David Rogers’ Big Bugs exhibit will be on display at Levis Commons from October 1-31, 2013, Monday – Friday, 10:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. and Sunday, Noon – 5:00 p.m. For more information about sculpture locations and activities visit www.ShopLevisCommons.com.
Total Votes: 0 Avg Vote: 0
- Toledo Symphony
- Toledo Lucas County Public Library
- Metroparks of the Toledo Area
- TARTA Transportation
- Toledo Museum of Art
- University of Toledo
- Owens Community College
- Toledo Choose Local
- Toledo Botanical Garden
- Toledo Zoo
- Bowling Green State University
- Toledo Repertoire Theatre
- Toledo Opera
- Arts Commission of Greater Toledo
- Stranahan Theater
- Toledo Mud Hens
- Westfield Franklin Park Mall
- The Shops at Levis Commons
- Lourdes College
- Cedar Point
- Toledo Farmer's Market